Help Keep Your Smile’s Glow from Fading
Everyone wants to sport a healthy, glowing smile. However, certain factors, such as the foods and drinks you consume and the overall quality of your dental hygiene, play a huge role in tooth discoloration. While a yellow smile is a common and natural occurrence, there are ways to bounce back from this uncomfortable situation and help your smile maintain a long-term, pearly glow.
What Causes Tooth Discoloration?
A yellow smile is triggered by several factors – some, a direct result of what we consume, while others are simply a product of time. The most common factors related to tooth discoloration are:
- Certain foods and drinks
- Coffee and wine are the two most commonly identified causes of developing a yellow smile. Black tea is also known to carry stain promoting tannins, which affect tooth enamel. Drinks that are high in acidity (such as juices and sodas), as well as foods that are bright in color (such as candies and popsicles) are also known to cause tooth staining. Even healthier options, such as certain berries (i.e blueberries, raspberries) and other intensely colored fruits and sauces play a role in tooth discoloration.
- Your smile’s dentin naturally yellows over time. As the enamel that covers your teeth thins out, this yellowing dentin becomes easier to see.
- Nicotine and tar found in tobacco are a huge cause of tooth stains, as well as a number of oral conditions. It only takes a small length of time for a smoker to begin to see changes in the quality of their smile.
How to Prevent Teeth from Turning Yellow
At Acosta Dental Arts, PA, we like to keep our North Palm Beach and Juno Beach clients informed of all the preventative measures that can be taken to avoid yellow teeth. By incorporating these measures into your everyday regimen, you can slow down, even prevent, tooth discoloration on a long-term scale:
- Maintain proper dental hygiene
- Routine dental care is one of the most crucial steps to obtaining a healthy, white smile. Brushing and flossing after every meal will help ward off the development of tooth stains.
- Teeth Whitening
- Over the counter whitening agentsand at-home whitening kits provided by your dentist can also help achieve whiter teeth over time.
- Avoid Foods/Drinks that Cause Stains
- Avoiding any of the above mentioned types of foods and drinks altogether is the most effective way to ward off yellow teeth. However, for those who cannot go without their morning cup of coffee, simply reducing the intake of these agents will slow down the discoloration process significantly.
With a combination of the right dental hygiene regimen and cutting down on/avoiding certain dietary and social habits, you can build your smile back up to its original shine. Assessing the quality of your smile with a dental professional is a useful step to help pinpoint factors that cause yellow teeth over time. If you are in the North Palm Beach/Juno Beach area and want to achieve a whiter smile, contact Acosta Dental Arts, PA today at 561-935-9336 to schedule your Free Smile Assessment .